Podcast listening hits all time high ….
The portion of Americans who listen to any kind of online audio, and those who listen to podcasts, have reached record highs, according to The Infinite Dial® 2023 from Edison Research with support from Amazon Music, Wondery, and ART19.
The Infinite Dial findings illuminate the changes over the past quarter of a century as America has gone from dial-up to digital dominance:
- In 1998, 31% of Americans had internet access, compared with 95% in 2023
- In 1998, half of households had a computer, compared with 91% of Americans in 2023 who carry a computer with them all the time – a smartphone
- In 1998, 6% of Americans had ever listened to online audio, compared with 70% of Americans in 2023 who listen to online audio every week
Significant changes in media consumption can also be seen in just the last few years as well.
Ownership and usage of digital and smart devices continues to increase:
- 58% of those in the U.S. age 12+ own wireless headphones, up from 50% in 2021
- 70% of those in the U.S. age 12+ own a smart television, up from 61% in 2021
- 36% of the U.S. 12+ population owns a smart speaker, up from 33% in 2021. Of those who own a smart speaker, 43% have one device, 20% have two, and 38% have three or more
Online audio listening continues to grow:
- 75% of Americans 12+ have listened to online audio in the last month
- 87% of Americans age 12-54 have listened to online audio in the last month
- Among U.S. adults age 18+ who have ridden in a car in the last month, 37% are listening to online audio in the car, up from 32% last year
Podcast findings include:
Monthly and weekly podcast listening bounces back:
- 42% of Americans 12+ have listened to a podcast in the last month, a new all-time high and up from 38% in 2022
- The majority of Americans age 12-54 (53%) have listened to a podcast in the last month 31% of Americans 12+ have listened to a podcast in the last week, up significantly from 26% in 2022
- 39% percent of those Americans age 12-54 have listened to a podcast in the last week
Weekly podcast listeners are consuming more podcasts:
- Weekly podcast listeners listened to an average of nine podcast episodes in the last week, up from eight episodes in 2022.
More people are listening to podcasts in-car:
- 38% of U.S. adults age 18+ who have ridden in a car in the last month say they listen to podcasts in the car, up from 32% in 2022
Podcast listening is still stagnant among those 55+:
- 21% of Americans age 55+ listened to a podcast in the last month
- 14% of Americans age 55+ listened to a podcast in the last week, flat from 2022.
Other findings include:
- More than half (53%) of Americans age 12+ have listened to an audiobook
- Social media usage remains flat, with 82% of those age 12+ and older using social media
- Among those age 12-34 who use social media, Instagram is most-used by 31%, TikTok is most-used by 22%, and Facebook is in third place as being the most-used at 20%
- Employed U.S. adults are returning to the workplace, with 78% of them saying they primarily work outside the home, up from 70% in 2021
- Among U.S. adults who have ridden in a car in the last month, 26% have either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto available in their primary vehicle
The study may be downloaded at: https://www.edisonresearch.com/infinite-dial-2023-from-edison-research-with-amazon-music-wondery-and-art19/